Midterm Screencast
How can I improve my English in my field of study?
Introduction
Hi everybody, my name is Amelie, and I am a second year college student.
Like most people, I'm a perfectionist and I expect of myself to write in depth texts without errors.
I’ve been studying Science for almost 2 years at Lionel-Groulx College. I recently applied in the Nursing program at the University of Montreal, more precisely at the Laval campus. I chose this program because I want to work with others and help people.
I have always used the best tools available to correct my texts since I am a performing student.
Today, I will show you how to use an online grammar checker for your field of study.
You'll just have to follow this step-by-step tutorial.
You'll be blown away by what's coming next.
The Problem
Since Laval is a completely bilingual city, I will have to care for different patients and may have to interact with them in English. This will certainly be a challenge because of all the complex words related to this field of study.
Having difficulty speaking and writing with fluency in English may make you appear less professional.
For example, poor communication with the patient can lead to more health problems if they do not follow the recommendations.
But don't worry. There’s no need to feel overwhelm. I know of a website called Virtual Writing Tutor that can help us improve our English. I promise you won't regret it. Virtual Writing Tutor is one of the best grammar checkers I know.
The Quest
First, you just have to write virtualwritingtutor.com in the address bar to access the website.
Once you’re on the website, you will see the logo in the top left corner of the screen, icons to share your content on social media in the top right corner of the screen and the navigation menu at the top of the screen in the middle. Virtual Writing Tutor offers a ton of features.
The Solution
If you want to check your text, you’ll have to copy it, past it in the text area and click on “check grammar”. Here’s a demonstration, “The patient has an open wund on the left thigh.” Then, in the feedback section, you will see the number of words, paragraphs and mistakes that you’ve got. Here, the word "wound" has a mistake, and some correction suggestions were given to me. So, I’m just gonna correct it quickly and there you have it.
If you want to check the pronunciation of a word or a sentence, click on the speaker in the bottom right corner of the text area. Then, you can practice your pronunciation by clicking on the microphone and repeating the word you were struggling with. Here's an example, "wound". You can repeat it as many times as you want.
You can also find field-related vocabulary. First, open a new tab and go to wikipedia.org. Then, in the middle of the screen, write in the address bar your program/ field of study. Then, select some of the text, copy it and past it in the text area on Virtual Writing Tutor. Click on “check vocabulary” and scroll down to the bottom of the feedback section. There, you will see field-related vocabulary spotted in the text. If you need more, you can always return on the previous page on Wikipedia and select more text. This feature is perfect if you want to create a glossary.
The Conclusion
So, if you are in the Nursing program or a related field, that's how you can improve your English with a grammar checker of quality.
So, I hope that helps and have a good day!
**************************************************************
Statistics
Word count: 606
Total MP3 length: 03:42
Target structure count: 11
Error count: 2
Error density: 1%
Comments
Post a Comment